Friday, August 1, 2008



Cy Twombly piece

A few days ago my daughter's friend came home from being away a month. She is 17 has had ME for two years, and went away while her home has had all the rot removed from it and is being repainted with waterbased paint. She came home to a house in chaos, and paint fumes that stopped her breathing and sent her heart racing. She is now here with me and her best friend (my daughter). It is lovely to see her and frightening to see her so ill. She lies on the sofa watching DVD's with M who hasn't seen her best friend for 7 months even though she is a five minute walk away. She talks of the anger and pain of losing friends who don't call and she feels forgotten, except by my daughter who has called her every day for the last two years. This has been a terrible experience for her, she has lost so much weight due to food sensitivity which leaves her in crippling pain. She has to have oxygen three times a day. But then she chats to my daughter about dancing , and boys and I think for a short pocket of time she is interacting with another teenager and there is absolute normality back again. We love her. I really hope she will be better soon. I think her parents are now totally penniless and beside themselves with worry.

1 comment:

Reading the Signs said...

I am so sad to read this. But your daughter's friendship is a precious thing.

I wonder if she (the friend) would like to read Nasim Marie Jafry's book, The State of Me (see velo-gubbed legs on my blog links). It is a book by and about someone who has M.E. - also a love story.