Friday, July 20, 2007

Teenagers!!!

After a year of trying to persuade my 15 year old daughter to come dancing with me and do Ceroc ( mixture of Jive and Salsa) she started a few months ago. Her teeth were gritted in anger. Only this once she said (and this after saying I had tricked her into going, and she wouldn't be seen dead dancing with old wrinklies). Well fast forward four months. She is now stealing all my best dance partners, has been a demonstrator on stage with a teacher, and is being begged by him to be a taxi dancer to help the beginners. She nags incessantly about going to different venues, and would go out seven nights a week if she could, happily diving and dipping with 70 year olds as happily as with 17 year olds. HONESTLY!

Having excluded herself from her friends at school due to losing her best friend to ME last year, this is her only social interaction. I have to admit I am relieved that she has this outlet. She gains in confidence, is comfortable chatting with every age group and is so far avoiding the perils of drugs and drink which are so much a part of the lives of her peers. I have to say, apart from having to wear her down into coming that first time, I am so very proud of her. She is a great companion and a pleasure to have around. Mostly........

No comments: